See also Similar Games for completed, proprietary monster catching games.
An art project with numbered monsters.
Catch Challenger is a contributor to the Tuxemon project, as we are using some of their open source assets.
Licence: GPL3 (code); GPL3, CC BY, LGPL (datapack)
- Catch Challenger has 14 types: Normal, Electric, Bird, Fire, Water, Stone, Ground, Plant, Ice, Fight, Poison, Psy, Spectre, Steal (Steel)
OPMon is a contributor to the Tuxemon project, as we might use some of their open source assets.
- OPMon has 18 types: Bad, Bug, Burning, Cold, Dragon, Electron, Fight, Ghost, Ground, Liquid, Magic, Mental, Metal, Mineral, Neutral, Sky, Toxic, Vegetal
- The game is called OPMon Lazuli
- Similarities and differences with Pokemon
- Some of the sprites are modified versions of proprietary sprites (for example, Team Mystare grunt includes parts from the Team Plasma grunt sprite)
- Some OPMon art and monsters are not yet added to this wiki
- See also Guardian Monsters on wiki
Formerly known as Friends with Monsters.
Friends with Monsters
Friends with Monsters had five types: Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Light (or Energy)
Monster Trainer RL
A monster catching roguelike with procedurally generated maps. The creator has confirmed that it is under the MIT Licence.
Open source JRPGs
While not monster-catching games specifically, these are notable for being open source JRPGs.
- Monster RPG 2
- Valyria Tear
- Godot OpenRPG: A tool and demo for turn-based RPGs in the open source Godot game engine.
A collection of fakemon under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial licence.