See also Similar Games for completed, proprietary monster catching games.
- 1 isaiah658's project
- 2 Floraverse
- 3 AndHeGames
- 4 Megupets
- 5 Color Monster
- 6 Catch Challenger
- 7 OPMon
- 8 Guardian Monsters
- 9 Monster Trainer RL
- 10 Project Uranium Godot
- 11 Open source JRPGs
- 12 Other uses of Tuxemon assets
- 13 MK Starter Kit
- 14 Proprietary
Currently planned as a proprietary game, but with assets licensed under CC0.
A Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike open world.
The Floraverse element system has five primary elements. Two primary elements can be combined (including two of the same element) to make the fifteen secondary elements. One primary and one secondary element or two secondary elements can be combined to make 125 tertiary elements (although these are not spelled out).
- Plasma (Fire x Fire)
- Acid (Fire x Water)
- Light (Fire x Air)
- Lava (Fire x Earth)
- Aura (Fire x Spirit)
- Ice (Water x Water)
- Cloud (Water x Air)
- Clay (Water x Earth)
- Poison (Water x Spirit)
- Storm (Air x Air)
- Sand (Air x Earth)
- Sound (Air x Spirit)
- Crystal (Earth x Earth)
- Magnet (Earth x Spirit)
- Psi (Spirit X Spirit)
Tertiary elements (examples)
- Hail (Ice x Cloud)
- Acid Rain (Acid x Cloud)
Doodles created by an artist on OpenGameArt.
There are 292 monsters so far.
An art project with numbered monsters.
Catch Challenger is a contributor to the Tuxemon project, as we are using some of their open source assets.
Licence: GPL3 (code); GPL3, CC BY, LGPL (datapack)
- Catch Challenger has 14 types: Normal, Electric, Bird, Fire, Water, Stone, Ground, Plant, Ice, Fight, Poison, Psy, Spectre, Steal (Steel)
OPMon is a contributor to the Tuxemon project, as we use some of their open source assets.
- Main site
- Website Github (CC BY)
- Original Game Github (GPL or CC BY-SA)
- Godot Remake Github (licence not specified)
- Github wiki
- OPMon has 18 types: Bad, Bug, Burning, Cold, Dragon, Electron, Fight, Ghost, Ground, Liquid, Magic, Mental, Metal, Mineral, Neutral, Sky, Toxic, Vegetal
- The game is called OPMon Lazuli
- Similarities and differences with Pokemon
- Some of the sprites are modified versions of proprietary sprites (for example, Team Mystare grunt includes parts from the Team Plasma grunt sprite)
- Some OPMon art and monsters are not yet added to this wiki
- See also Guardian Monsters on wiki
Formerly known as Friends with Monsters.
Friends with Monsters
Friends with Monsters had five types: Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Light (or Energy)
Monster Trainer RL
A monster catching roguelike with procedurally generated maps. The creator has confirmed that it is under the MIT Licence.
Project Uranium Godot
An MIT-licensed remake of the Pokemon Uranium game in the open source Godot engine.
Open source JRPGs
While not monster-catching games specifically, these are notable for being open source JRPGs.
- Monster RPG 2
- Valyria Tear
- Godot OpenRPG: A tool and demo for turn-based RPGs in the open source Godot game engine.
Other uses of Tuxemon assets
CS50's Introduction to Game Development
Harvard's CS50 open course on game design, "CS50's Introduction to Game Development", features Tuxemon sprites.
An auto-battler under the MIT License.
Juxemon is a vaporware project that was apparently on Steam at some point. It used Tuxemon assets.
MK Starter Kit
A planned open source Pokemon-style RPG maker.
A collection of fakemon under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial licence.